Position: Content Specialist, Mathematics
Employment type: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Director of Mathematics
EdReports.org is at the forefront of the curriculum reform movement. By increasing the capacity of educators to identify and demand the highest quality curriculum, EdReports.org is both disrupting a multibillion dollar market and transforming the way students are taught and ultimately perform. With the firm belief that what is taught matters and that all students deserve high quality materials, EdReports.org publishes free, online, evidence-rich reviews of instructional materials.
Purpose of Position
The Content Specialist, Mathematics will play a critical role in the success of EdReports. This person is responsible for growing and improving support for the Mathematics activities at EdReports.org, including but not limited to the review of Mathematics instructional materials for Grades K-12. The Content Specialist, Mathematics will work closely with the rest of the Mathematics team, other content teams, and the Executive Director to continue improving K-12 education by informing educators’ decisions about high quality and aligned instructional materials to support their classrooms and schools across the country. Specifically, this position focuses primarily on the review of materials claiming alignment to the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM). This position will allow for a highly motivated person to apply their CCSSM expertise to positively impact the course of Mathematics education across the nation. This position will initially be working closely on the current review of Grades K-5 Mathematics materials and will partner with the Mathematics Team on Grades 6-8 and high school Mathematics reviews.
Support Mathematics Reviews – 75%
- Partner with the Mathematics Team to train reviewers, monitor review progress, read evidence collected by reviewers, calibrate across review teams, and ensure evidence guides are being utilized by review teams;
- Coach teams of Mathematics educators with extensive experience and interest in the Mathematics Standards as they deeply engage in the review of Mathematics instructional materials;
- Lead communities of practice, facilitating productive conversations, through consensus-building and problem-solving;
- Design, develop, and deliver professional learning experiences in face-to-face, synchronous, and asynchronous settings on the review process and tools, the Common Core State Standards of Mathematics, and the aspects of rigor;
- Track and communicate report progression through cycles, identify problems of practice, work to progress reviews efficiently, and solve problems through individual action and collaboration with the Mathematics Team and expert advisors; and
- Participate in Mathematics conferences and trainings.
Research, Improvement, and Expansion into New Areas – 15%
- With the Mathematics Team, periodically update the K-8 review tool based on research and feedback on reports, update evidence guides, and monitor the review process for efficiency;
- Monitor research on Mathematics instructional materials and design informed by the national and international Mathematics community to build the pipeline for review, continually improve both present and future Mathematics reviews, and contribute to the knowledge of the mathematics team;
- Collaborate with the Content Teams to maintain and create the content-based resources for the review processes for internal and external audiences (including documents, videos, etc.); and
- With the Mathematics team, provide feedback and insight into new areas of instructional material reviews, including, but not limited to: Interim Assessment and materials for special populations.
Content Team Collaboration and Outreach – 10%
- Represent EdReports at Mathematics and education convenings to understand work from partner organizations and promote the Mathematics reports;
- Partner with Outreach Specialists and other staff to engage in and lead external conversations that promote demand for high quality instructional materials;
- Work with Outreach Specialists and other staff to provide targeted Mathematics instructional materials review expertise and guidance to support state/district materials reviews and adoptions;
- Work with Content Specialists and other staff on developing ongoing trainings for the organization, reviewers, and external partners, including states, districts, and others that support implementation of the CCSS; and
- Work across content areas to support connections in Science and ELA to ensure accuracy and coherence across EdReports’ reviews.
Travel – Up to 10%
- National travel will occur related to organizational needs and for professional learning, as needed. Amount of travel will be monitored to ensure it is appropriate for both the organization and the Mathematics Specialist.
- Demonstrable passion for the EdReports mission and vision;
- Deep expertise in Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (inclusive of instructional shifts), required;
- Minimum of seven years of professional experience in Mathematics education, required (in nonprofits, education settings, teaching, or other related fields); K-5 classroom, coaching, and leadership experience, preferred;
- Extensive content expertise in Mathematics and curriculum design, required; understanding of K-12 Mathematics education political and policy landscape, preferred;
- Broad network of leaders in Mathematics education; district and school-level, preferred; Minimum of five years of people and project management experience, required;
- Exceptional written and spoken communications and interpersonal skills;
- Fluent in MS Office suite (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) required; Adobe Creative Suite, Google Suite/Analytics, Salesforce, and Pardot preferred;
- College degree required; Master’s degree preferred; and
- Flexibility in work hours, including some weekend and evenings as needed.